Created in 2003 by 5 prize-winners of the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique de Paris, OR NOTES BRASS set up within the class of chamber music of Jens Mac Manama (soloist of the Ensemble Intercontemporain). In the same way, OR NOTES BRASS had the opportunity to meet internationally renowned groups during Master Classes ( Spanish Brass, Canadian Brass, Ensemble Epsilon), and won lot of international competitions :
- 1st Prize of the International Competition for chamber music of Illzach in March, 2009
- 1st Prize of the “Jan Koetsier” International Competition for Brass Quintet of Munich in November, 2006
- 3rd Prize of the International Competition for Brass Instrument Ensembles of Passau in November, 2006
- 1st Prize of the International Competition of Chamber Music of Lyon in April, 2005. Adami Prize (Public prize), Sacem Prize (best semi final programme), Favourite group chosen by The Foundation Bayer Cropsciense
- 1st Prize of the European Competition of Chamber Music organized by the FNAPEC so becoming the first group of brass instruments to receive this reward in May, 2004
The members of the quintet also play within prestigious orchestras: Paris Opera, Lyon Opera, Paris Orchestra, National Orchestra of France, Philharmonic Orchestra of Radio France, Ensemble Intercontemporain, Toulouse Capitol Orchestra… and conducted by Pierre Boulez, Christoph Eschenbach, Myung-Whun Chung, Jonathan Nott, Emmanuel Krivine, Armin Jordan, Jesus Lopez Cobos…
OR NOTES BRASS performs in France (Auditorium and Opera in Lyon, Berlioz Festival in la Côte-Saint-André, Salle Cortot in Paris, Epsival Festival in Limoges, classical scene in the Salon de la Musique et du Son …) as well as abroad, as OR NOTES BRASS was invited to participate in the Lucerne Festival in 2004 (Switzerland) conducted by Pierre Boulez and gave concerts in Leverkusen (Germany) during the Bayer Cropsciense Festival in October, 2005. OR NOTES BRASS was also on the French radios France Musique and France Inter, in programmes presented by Frédéric Lodéon and Gaëlle Le Gallic.
Our passion for chamber music aims at making most people discover a varied repertoire made of technique, pleasure and musicality. OR NOTES BRASS offers eclectic programs, from ancient to present-day music.
OR NOTES BRASS wishes to develop the original repertoire for brass quintet. It has particularly been able to play for the first time the French piece “Zwischen 3”for solo bass trombone with double bell and brass quintet, composed by Gérard Buquet (contemporary music teacher at the Hochschule of Karlsruhe and tuba teacher at the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Paris) as well as Le Soleil de Mitia, a brilliant tribute to Dimitri Chostakovitch composed by Jean-Marc Boudet (trombonist at the National Orchestra of Montpellier). In 2009, it's Gustavo Beytelmann who works with them in "Un animoso destierro", a composition inspired by the tango music.
OR NOTES BRASS pulled itself to the level of the best French groups after numerous concerts.
Passionate, brilliant, generous, are the three criteria which characterise them.
Therefore, OR NOTES BRASS is one of the great hopefuls hopes for chamber music in France and abroad.
Trumpets : Jérôme Pouré et Julien Lair
French horn : Pierre Rémondière
Trombone : Etienne Lamatelle
Tuba : Sylvain Thillou